Wednesday 18 May 2011

Things To Love About Cold Rainy Weather In Rio

Break out the Cosby Knitwear..it's COLD!
16 degrees might be the temperature of a pleasant spring day in Aberdeen but here it is considered freeeeeeeezing.  Coupled with the incessant rain, the cold front is enough to bring out a tropical variant of SAD in most people, but here I am to give you six reasons to enjoy the climate:

1) YOU HAVE AN EXCUSE NOT TO DO ANYTHING:  In Brazil the rain is a perfectly valid excuse not to do anything or go anywhere.  Apparently this extends to your place of work, especially if that happens to be my house.  The first time I heard a maid play the rain card to explain an absence I was dumbfounded.  Since, I have come to expect it.  Sure enough on Friday morning as it rained cats, dogs and the full gamut of domestic pets, I got the no-show call from The Help.  I've adapted pretty well to the rain excuse myself, and have used it this week to ditch yoga and spinning classes (pretty pathetic since the gym is about 20 metres from my front door) in favour of watching Barbie mermaid films.

2) IF YOU DO ANYTHING AT ALL, IT WILL BE AN ENHANCED EXPERIENCE: Given that most people will NOT be venturing far from home, anything you do decide to undertake will be all the more pleasant.  When it rains, the illegal vendors who clog up the pavement with their pirate DVD and remote control stands stay away so you can actually navigate your pushchair from A to B without going mental.  I took my kids to swimming class this week and they had semi-private classes since most other children had been kept at home lest they get wet and cold, and shopping at the Hortifruti in Catete was actually bearable because the fogeys who usually shuffle around the shop were all shivering under polyester blankets somewhere.

3) IT'S EASY TO MAKE FRIENDS: If you are new to Brazil and you want to meet other expats, put wellie boots on your kids and take them to the park to jump in the puddles.  Without a shadow of a doubt, the only other children you meet will be other foreigners. 

4) YOU GET TO COVER UP: All that chocolate left over from Easter and in the last few weeks I've acquired enough spare tyres to set up my own roadside borracharia.  It's wonderful to be able to hide it all under sleeves and long layers, without the pressure of having a bikini body ready to break out at any moment.  Liberate the body hair and revel in items of clothing salvaged from the 'cold clothes' box at the back of the wardrobe; garments that contain wool yes WOOL (mental note: remember to remind The Help how to hand wash and dry cashmere) and pashminas and socks wonderful socks.

5) YOU GET TO SEE SOME PRICELESS KNITWEAR:  If the average Brit possesses one baggy-bottomed bikini and twenty jumpers, the Carioca has the inverse.  The knitwear you see when it gets 'cold' here defies belief.  Snuggly clothing, because it is rarely used, apparently lasts for generations,  and is therefore excused the whims of fashion.  You see people wearing patterns and colour combos that would make Bill Cosby proud.

6) IT MAKES YOU FEEL AT HOME: Don't we all love that chilled to the bone feeling that is rewarded by a nice toasted crumpet and a face-burning sit beside the open fire?  This cold, wet streak makes me feel right at home.  Most of all it reminds me why I'm glad I don't live there...

42 comments:

  1. And I don't know about you, but when I sleep under heavier blankets I just sleep better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @andreaalbeit just for four hours! Hope your baby lets you get some kip tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I love it!! And after 5 years here, I totally AGREE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha ! Are you sure about hteknitwear ? Hahaha ! Well, I have to say during my first years in Holland I found the Dutch pretty lost/confused about summer clothes. I still spot during the summer: white boots (and everything white during summer: pants, plastic coats, hair accessories... weird), sandals with socks (hideous), pants transformed into shortswith the help os scissors (mostly men do that), and sunglasses even it is a grey, cloudy summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just randomly stumbled on your blog--I'm from Colorado and it's been pouring here too. We're used to snow in March but not rain in May! Enjoy that cozy feeling that (a little bit of) rain brings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm an American who grew up in Rio, and this is pitch perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.


    frases bonitas
    frases de bobmarley
    frases de deus
    frases de felicida
    frases para namorado

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was lovely and made me very very great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great! This post is inventive you'll discover a considerable measure of new thought, it provides for me motivation. I accept I will likewise motivated by you and feel about additional new thoughts.

    Visit: Accredited High School Diploma Online


    ReplyDelete
  10. Really fantastastic post you have shared here Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The learning lab is providing the best Maths and English tutor in Sydney and if you are looking for maths tutor for your child contact us now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They never display dissimilarity between the various customers which is also one of the best factors about these transporters. Since from their assistance record, we can able to see the transformation that they did.totoro poster

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Usa offers a lot of choices which choosing it's possible to be difficult! Narrow lower your best choices as well as let your whole family choose.cheapest way to transfer money abroad

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks on your wonderful putting up. I really enjoyed looking through it, you are an incredible writer. I want to encourage that you just need to have to carry on With it.southwestern bedspreads

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this blog. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s tough to get that “perfect balance” between usability and appearance. I must say you’ve done a superb job with this. Additionally, the blog loads very quick for me on Firefox. Exceptional Blog!Nissan Pathfinder 2017 price

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blessed I am that I am reading this blessed document these days. I really assumed that the very best of the articles stopped arriving. However immediately after looking over this, my belief rises again!transfer money

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blakeslee and Son really helped us out when we had a plumbing issue. We are in Grand Rapids and would highly recommend their services!tree removal in long island

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am habitually seeking for informative data like this. This is precisely what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing this great item.hotel viareggio 1 stella

    ReplyDelete

  19. Thanks for posting wonderful post. Your post is very informative and contains new things to read. Indian Astrologer in Australia | Famous Astrologer in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Once you are well-informed about the real estate market and the selling process, selling your own home will become less stressful. Knowing how to navigate your way through this process is a wonderful skill.Huawei Nova 3i Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  21. I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you could have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very pleased that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this Second home

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really great post, Thank you for sharing This knowledge. Excellently written article, if only all bloggers offered the same level of content as you, the internet would be a much better place. Please keep it up!hotel viareggio vicino al mare

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it,Load Cell

    ReplyDelete
  24. What could you possibly ever need help with! I get inspired by you! Tonight I'm going to try to make this. Looks so delicious, and healthy too!fredericton real estate

    ReplyDelete
  25. When My partner and i go through some sort of blog site, I'm hoping who's isn't going to let down everyone approximately this blog. What I'm saying is,tree service in long island

    ReplyDelete
  26. You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!iPhone Buyback Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  27. I will probably be coming back to your weblog for more soon what to text your ex girlfriend to get her back.Samsung Repair Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  28. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. Costumes rock Halloween costumes

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A good sandwich is hard to come by these days. Crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes, your favorite meat, the best and freshest bread and all the extra toppings and trimmings.Promotional Banners

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great read. Thnks for sharing..






    www.luxxpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks very much, this articel very nice agriculture Tuscan coast hotel on the sea

    ReplyDelete
  33. This duct is made in the GNP laboratories under strict eyes of scientists. It does not cause any negative effect on the body and keeps us in good health all the time. The duct works hard to reduce the excess fat from the body and vides us with a lot of energy. It does not make us lazy, it motes muscle mass, and works on the circulatory system we have and even enhances testosterone-the secret to a happy married life.B & b viareggio center

    ReplyDelete
  34. Shen Tong is a sequential entrepreneur, writer/poet, angel investor, social activist, foodie, and a film buff. Being one of Newsweek’s People of the Year in 1989, Shen Tong was born in 1968, in Beijing.
    Shen Tong
    Shen Tong
    Shen Tong
    Shen Tong
    Shen Tong
    Shen Tong
    Shen Tong
    Shen Tong

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great article..




    www.luxxpress.com
    las vegas to los angeles bus

    ReplyDelete
  36. Keep doing awesome read few posts on this site and I consider that your online journal is exceptionally intriguing and has sets of incredible data.suspense

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like your post, you have done really good work and this is what i need. Thanks for your post I will come back again for reading your next update.sailing charters bvi

    ReplyDelete
  38. That's looking good news for having some sandwiches at airport but prices are little bit higher bit it's good and I travel a lot with Nanak flights because of their cheap flight tickets to Toronto and that is also great service.
    workout clothing Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
  39. immigration law firm NJ providing legal services and representation to clients throughout the state and region. The firm’s practice areas encompass Corporate Law, family law, divorce, and DACA. Our experience enables us to provide the best solutions through creative ways and specific strategies tailored to your legal matter.

    ReplyDelete